The Platform's Manifesto - "Why Oral Health Matters"
The Platform for Better Oral Health in Europe is convinced that having the confidence to smile, eat and enjoy life is a fundamental right for every European citizen and that this can only be achieved by ensuring effective consideration of oral health in all policies.
That is why, the Platform’s Manifesto articulates five concrete policy asks directed at EU policy-makers for the next five years. This Manifesto was presented on 3rd December 2019 in the European Parliament.
This Manifesto aims to show that oral diseases are almost entirely preventable with the right policies and incentives, and that investing in good oral health brings value to both EU citizens and health systems.
Our policy asks are the following:
- Promote joined-up policies and adopt adequate budgets to alleviate the burden of oral health inequalities amongst European citizens;
- Support the adoption of the WHO recommendations to reduce sugar consumption among EU citizens through a range of policy options, such as through ensuring proper implementation of the Audiovisual Media Services Directive;
- Encourage countries to adopt European evidence-based best practices on oral health promotion and education throughout the life-course, such as through tooth brushing with fluoride toothpaste in schools and care homes;
- Adopt policy recommendations to support the achievement of Universal Health Coverage and SDG Goal 3, including ensuring access for all EU citizens to affordable quality oral health care;
- Ensure systematic collection of relevant oral health data to allow for better data-driven policy-making to reduce health inequalities and promote better health.
Download our publications below
Our Manifesto "Why Oral Health Matters"Download