Platform for Better Oral Health in Europe hosts Annual Associate Member meeting in Brussels
On 3 December 2019, the Platform for Better Oral Health in Europe hosted its annual Associate Member meeting in Brussels, which was followed by an event in the European Parliament where the Platform’s new Manifesto was officially launched.
This meeting was the occasion for the Platform’s Board Members to provide an update on the work accomplished over the past year, and to present the strategy for the Platform for 2020. In 2020, the Platform will take forward the key policy asks outlined in the Manifesto:
- Promote joined-up policies and adopt adequate budgets to alleviate the burden of oral health inequalities amongst European citizens;
- Support the adoption of the WHO recommendations to reduce sugar consumption among EU citizens through a range of policy options, such as through ensuring proper implementation of the Audiovisual Media Services Directive;
- Encourage countries to adopt European evidence-based best practices on oral health promotion and education throughout the life-course, such as through tooth brushing with fluoride toothpaste in schools and care homes;
- Adopt policy recommendations to support the achievement of Universal Health Coverage and SDG Goal 3, including ensuring access for all EU citizens to affordable quality oral health care;
- Ensure systematic collection of relevant oral health data to allow for better data-driven policy-making to reduce health inequalities and promote better health.
Associate Members offered valuable insights and contributions that will help steer the activities of the Platform in the next year.
Representatives of the following organisations participated in the meeting: Alliance for a Cavity Free Future (ACFF); Arbeitsgemeinschaft Zahnmedizin für Menschen mit Behinderung (German Association for Dentistry for Persons with Disability or Special Needs); Association of Dental Education in Europe (ADEE); Council of European Chief Dental Officers; European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry (EAPD); European Association of Dental Public Health (EADPH); European College of Gerodontology (ECG); European Dental Hygienist Federation (EDHF); European Dental Students Association (EDSA); ; European Federation of Periodontology (EFP); European Organisation for Caries Research (ORCA); European Orthodontic Society (EOS); International Federation of Dental Hygienists (IFDH); Ivoren Kruis; Oral Health Foundation; Russian Dental Association.
Download our publications below
Our Manifesto "Why Oral Health Matters"Download